JANUARY 2023 PATCH
REGIMENTAL CACHES, NEW UNIQUES, NEW ARMORS.
MOMMA AIN'T RAISE NO REG.
The 99th Collection is now available in-game until January 18th.
FIREWORKS & NEW WORKS.
The first noteworthy patch of the server.
RESURGENCE.
Throw it back to where it all began with Season 1's loot.

Forums are back!

• Expect issues or mishaps while we continue to put the forums into gear. If you notice any issues, please don't hesitate to fill out a bug report.

AOTR/DG Are Loot Crates a Scam?

Sully

Forum's Sweat
Legacy
Donator
Verified
Reaction score
Yes.
Lootcrates have been around since the launch of aotr. Since then there have been many great items that you can get and tons of shit that you can get. You were able to sell all items you got for a nice amount of money that was actually worth a lot when the economy was good. But now the 1.5k you may get for some item you pull is only enough to get you healed by the medical three times. But you also cannot even sell some of the items you receive. But I was thinking about how good your odds are even to get something considered "good" by the lootcrates. To find out those odds I decided to open up 500 Lootcrates with @Tyrone and @Zentro.

Now here are the very rough odds that I found.

S Tier: Unique Items Dropped: 3

After opening 500 crates my main surprise was the lack of Unique Items that were unboxed. The odds of getting a Unique is 0.6% in your crate according to my math.
A Tier: Mythic Items Dropped: 2
I was very surprised to realize that I got less Mythics then Uniques when I first remembered that Mythics existed. The odds of getting a Mythic is 0.4% in your crate according to my math.

B Tier: Specialized Items Dropped: 62
So this tier is just your average range of items that you can get and most you can sell. If you only just use lootcrates that you unbox then these can make you a good amount of money if you get good items. Usually 400-500 more credits then you would get if you just sold the lootcrate. But if you buy lootcrates from the NPC then you will never make profit from this tier or any tier below this one. The odds of getting a Specialized item is 12.4%

C Tier: Classified Items Dropped: 231
So this tier is the tier that you have the biggest chance of getting which really came as a surprise but this tier does have the most items. The best you can do is make 200-500 more credits then you would get for selling the lootcrate. The odds of getting a Classified item in your crate is 46.2%.

D Tier: Industrial Items Dropped: 104
This tier has barely any items and you will never make your money back from this crate even if its your daily crate. Only thing that alerted me was how I only dropped 109 of these items. The odds of getting a Industrial item in your crate is 20.8%
F Tier: Standard Items Dropped: 98
The shit tier of lootcrate drops. The only thing you can get I believe is credits. You will never make the same amount of money then you would if you sold your crate. The chance of getting a Standard drop in your lootcrate is 19.6%

Here is every single lootcrate I opened.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/155YYaM-fWBxYY7TrjDDCDua-ZsaEHRvVGIXKAU0Iqi4/edit?usp=sharing

I did not pull a single Planetary item from these crates which makes me think that the Firepuncher has been vaulted for now. Which is why lootcrates are such shit.

Now my suggestion to fix lootcrates is simple.
Step 1: Remove half the items that just aren't sellable to the NPC and remove most icons since those are completely useless.
Step 2: Add new Planetarys and Uniques that actually makes the tiers live up to their rarity of being dropped.
Step 3: Up the price that you can sell the lootcrate items for that will make buying lootcrates sometimes worth it.

Thanks for attending my Ted Talk.

Also @Sour you spelt Prestigious wrong for Prestigious Bandolier. You spelt it as "Prestigous"

Last edited:
warthunder is a bigger scam, I wasted 10$ on opening stupid crates and all I got were camouflages for tanks I DIDNT EVEN OWN.

I do agree that a lot of the really common/useless items should be removed.
There are like a thousand binoculars up and cross arms emotes in circulation that people give out free. It would add value to those items very slowly while new items get circulated.

I watched you open all of them and almost crash the server, Its ridiculous how low the odds are. I do agree with your proposal.

I watched you open all of them and almost crash the server, Its ridiculous how low the odds are. I do agree with your proposal.
It was only at 3tps

@Sully Few things;
  1. Your math was surprisingly correct for Unique, Mythic, and Specialized, but you are entirely wrong for Classified, Industrial, and Standard.
  2. Your math is in the same breath entirely incorrect, as it's not a percentage-based system. It's all an RNG number game that also gets changed with how many items are in the total pool. Classified feels like 50% because there are more classified items than any other tier.
  3. Did not want to bring this up, but since you want to fight with words on the forums there was already a crate drop rework planned for next weeks patch. Sounds like you had absolutely poor timing for opening all 500 crates, which opening 500 crates in one sitting in & of itself is a terrible idea for this exact same reason and more. I can see the steam coming out of your ears and nose as you read this.
In the end, the crates were designed as a log in reward that players grind for. The crate system is going to get removed entirely in favor of a better item-reward feature in the near future, but for as long as they have been utilized they have been working perfectly. They kept you and countless others online and logging in daily, which is their literal intended purpose. If you were able to easily obtain the best or most sought after items, you wouldn't come back, nor would you participate in trading as often.

Also fuck you for the prestigious comment.

@Sully Few things;
  1. Your math was surprisingly correct for Unique, Mythic, and Specialized, but you are entirely wrong for Classified, Industrial, and Standard.
  2. Your math is in the same breath entirely incorrect, as it's not a percentage-based system. It's all an RNG number game that also gets changed with how many items are in the total pool. Classified feels like 50% because there are more classified items than any other tier.
  3. Did not want to bring this up, but since you want to fight with words on the forums there was already a crate drop rework planned for next weeks patch. Sounds like you had absolutely poor timing for opening all 500 crates, which opening 500 crates in one sitting in & of itself is a terrible idea for this exact same reason and more. I can see the steam coming out of your ears and nose as you read this.
In the end, the crates were designed as a log in reward that players grind for. The crate system is going to get removed entirely in favor of a better item-reward feature in the near future, but for as long as they have been utilized they have been working perfectly. They kept you and countless others online and logging in daily, which is their literal intended purpose. If you were able to easily obtain the best or most sought after items, you wouldn't come back, nor would you participate in trading as often.

Also fuck you for the prestigious comment.
You are right. I am incredibly pissed we wasted that money lmao. But I honestly just did it for fun but I did not know the drops would be so shit.